Thursday 11 May 2017

A Grand Celebration!

Yesterday was the seventh anniversary of my only sister's death from stomach cancer.  A sad day but also one for remembering happy times. It also happened to be that I had just got to the point of being about to make the long-awaited one thousandth new recipe since my New Year's resolution of 2008.  I think that was karma.  So I started thinking about what to make.  It had to be special and it had to reflect her.  She was a massive fan of eating and drinking, like me, and even though in the final fortnight of her life when she was in a local hospice and was surviving on little more than ice lollies, she still had tea and cake when people visited, just to be sociable, even though she only managed a few crumbs and sips.

One thing she was famous for was her tiramisu.  Even bona fide Italians raved about it!  I didn't make tiramisu for several years after she died because it wouldn't be as good as hers, but eventually I did make it, and also a Bailey's version. It WAS good, but not as good as hers.  So the 1000th recipe couldn't be that as I had already made it. I always have at least one friend round on her anniversary, to drink bubbly and eat cake, so I thought about doing a gateau, in the gateau chapter of my favourite cake book was.... a tiramisu gateau! Decision made.

Several adaptations later (using a normal sponge instead of a genoese sponge as I've found the latter to be a bit unreliable) and dark chocolate kitkats around the edge instead of chocolate cigarillo biscuits, all was planned.  Two Victoria sponges were cut in half to make a four layer cake. Each layer was drizzled with a syrup made from instant espresso powder, water, sugar and Tia Maria.  I was worried that there was too much syrup and that it would be too wet but in hindsight I could have added more.  In the end I put the extra syrup in a jug and it got poured over the slices of cake as it was eaten, depending on your preference for sogginess of cake and intensity of coffee and liqueur. The layers were sandwiched together with mascarpone cream (egg yolks and sugar whisked together over simmering water, then mixed with the cheese and double cream) and the whole thing was then refrigerated.  It didn't look all that impressive at this stage:


However, that all changed with the assembly.  A final layer of mascarpone cream was spread on the top and sides of the cake and cocoa powder dredged over the top. I used 22 two-finger dark chocolate kitkats around the edge and finished with a gold ribbon that my daughter had bought in her lunch break from college in Stamford.



Shared with friends, it was a great success, in fact my son actually gave it ten out of five!!  I think a fitting tribute to happy memories of an amazing person.  I still miss Friday "wine and crisp" nights with my sister, and often wish I'd been able to share my new recipe adventures with her.

The rest of the gateau was taken into work today and happily polished off by my two assistants, the IT team and several other highly deserving NHS workers in need of sugar and caffeine.  I'm not going to stop at a thousand recipes, even if my Jamie Oliver notebook which contains the list of recipes get full.  There's still so much inspiration out there.. so many recipes, so little time.  I really want to live to be 100 and see how many I've got to by then.

Thank you for reading,

Caroline x

1 comment: