Sunday 22 January 2017

Recipe Gin-spiration!

Gin drinking has suddenly gone all trendy, but I have always loved it. It may have started when when I was small, and came downstairs after bedtime once on my parents' wedding anniversary.  They were drinking gin and tonic and having smoked salmon sandwiches, and I interrupted their post-children-in-bed celebration, but they didn't mind!  It was such a glamourous and grown-up thing, and something I aspired to do when I was a grown up. When eventually I was allowed to try it I really liked the botanical flavours. Over the years I have learned a lot more about the history of gin drinking, the distilling process and the differences between the many types of gins on the market, and I've got a small gin cupboard with my favourite four (as below, plus my new bottle of my newest favourite the beautiful Brockmans), quality rather than quantity being all important.  I've also had a go at using it as an ingredient, and have found loads of gin-spiration for the future, such as using it when curing salmon.  In the past I've cured salmon with vodka and beetroot, but I discovered an amazing recipe for gravlax using a blackberry and sloe gin cure - I HAVE to try that soon.  



http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/sloe-gin-gravlax/ 

It's also great in desserts, I've made a gin and tonic granita with apple caramel drizzled over, which balanced the gin flavour really well.  This was a Tom Kerridge recipe, it's like a sort of grown-up slush puppie!!  Obviously you can make it look more sophisticated with the presentation.

Some gin-loving friends came for dinner last weekend, and they suggested a cherry and gin shortbread ripple ice cream recipe for the dessert.  I've been put off ice cream making in the past due to not having an ice cream maker but have recently discovered the amazing thing that is NO CHURN ice cream.  Basically it's just double cream, condensed milk and flavourings. Whisk together, adding flavourings before or after depending on if you want them broken up or in chunks, and freeze!  You need to let it warm up slightly before serving though. The aforementioned cherry and gin ice cream turned out fabulously, with maraschino cherries and shortbread biscuits in (see photo - not my image but mine did look the same), and I have since experimented with a vanilla bean paste flavoured raspberry and blackcurrant jam doughnut ice cream which got top marks from my son. He assured me that it really did taste exactly like jam doughnuts - probably because they were simply chopped up and stirred in...



I also want to try gin and tonic cupcakes - I'll keep you posted.  Don't forget to drink (and eat!) responsibly.

Thank you for reading,

Caroline.

No comments:

Post a Comment